Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Suspended on Clouds

Do you think you can walk yourself to death?

Probably.

I walked everywhere yesterday and my foot hurts. Not the kind of hurt from when you have just been walking for a while and your feet want to do nothing more than kick off those well-worn stepped-in-poop shoes and plop stockinged feet on the couch. No. I hurt my foot somehow and it sends a hate-message of pain every time my left foot feels the pressure from the ground. Ouch.

Anyhoo, Haeree and I ran to Kracker Jacks yesterday and went to the watertower and Queens Park and then back again. We went to the campus at 1PM to get our ID cards and then we went to a secondhand clothing store. We checked out some other stores around town and found a lolli shop with American foods like peanut butter M&Ms and A&W rootbeer. I got some rootbeer to give to Joyce and Neville's grandkids so they can know the beauty of the greatest fizz ever.

On the pilgrimage home we ran into one of the grandkids on the street. It's really cool to run into people on the street who aren't from BYU. It makes me feel like I belong here. I gave him the can of rootbeer and told him to share with his siblings when he gets home. I wish I could have seen his face when he tried it

I love the variety of beaches I've seen here: white sand, black sand, little pebbles, and big rocks. Today we went to a wood beach. A petrified forest. A disgusting amount of kelp had worked its way into a wee inlet and with every gush of every wave it looked like ginormous noodles about to overflow a rocky pot. Black birds with orange beaks and eerie red eyes scampered around. There were little pools of sea weed and I touched the beady, slimy things. Lisa found a dead crab in one of those pools and we decided to give it a proper sea burial. It was a beautiful service. (That's me and Lisa finding the crab)

I have been trying to take in life unfiltered. More frequently I find myself laying my sunglasses aside and looking at the green grass. It's a different shade in real life. The sky is much darker behind my purple lenses. I like it the way it truly is. And when the blue contrasts with the green I swear I can hear music in the meadows.

The clouds over the ocean try so hard to seamlessly blend into the sky. They don't make any shapes. It's like they're in a limbo between stratus and circulonimbus.

Enough of cloud talk.

Approximately 432 sheep later we found ourselves at the Curio Bay. I ate the delicious lunch Joyce packed for me. I feel like I'm in elementary school all over again with someone else packing my lunch for me.

I swam with wild dolphins.
Look closely in the wave. The dolphins are surfing in it.


I am jealous of myself. Ever since I was a girl I wanted to be a marine biologist and be swimming with dolphins. My own dreams are coming true right before my eyes. But my dreams come true while I'm awake.

4 comments:

Abby Marie said...

you inspire me sister. I love your writing. You know what's so wierd? I was at a petrified forest today too!

Liesl said...

Amazing! Beautiful pictures! I am jealous of you too, but like I said, that's a stupid thing to say. So I will simply shriek with giddiness every time I see your pictures and be astoundingly happy for you.

Julie T said...

Hey! This is Stef's mom (Julie)
If you notice this comment, could you please answer: is that a dolphin in the lower picture just above the third girl from the left??? Ohmigosh, if so, I am so coming to body surf in the Catlins!
(I always wanted to be a marine biologist as a little girl too- still do!)

Marcindra LaPriel said...

The answer would be yes. That is definitely a dolphin in the lower picture just above the third girl from teh left.