Wednesday, February 27, 2008

26 and 14

Having pulled the purple curtains from the window I looked through the glass to a gloomy morning. Dull. Dark. Damp. Dim street lamps let off a caliginous musty yellow which would have been long since obsolete had the clouds not been opaquely blocking the 7 o'clock morning sun. Clanking of dishes in the kitchen jarred my still-waking mind. I just wanted to curl up back in my purple covers and bury my head under purple pillows and fall swiftly back into sleep and dream of non-purple things. But I knew I couldn't. Curse schedules.

Hoping that the view unfiltered by glass was somehow better than watching the gloom with my elbow on a window sill, I opened the window and cautiously strained my neck out until I could feel the breeze hit my ears. Just as I suspected: a drab morning. Poking my head out of the window did nothing to improve the view but it surprisingly did improve my morning. I could smell the rain on the pavement. It smells the same here in New Zealand as it does at home. It smells refreshing and clean but better than laundry detergent. I could better make out the distinct droplets on the yellow roses framing my brick perch. I could have reached out and flicked the droplets off the petals but opted instead to keep the water beads sitting contently on the blossom. I preferred it that way.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Hopefully you could see the scene I just described. As a writer, I strive to interpret and translate my feelings and thoughts into words so that the audience is connected to my senses. My job as an author is to make you feel as I want you to feel, to see and think the way I want you to think. When people read my pieces I want them to feel emotion: joy, peace, distaste, fear, anxiety, worry, love, passion, grumpy, exhausted, enthralled. Language is a delicate art. I am not a dancer. I do not paint or sculpt. I have but 26 letters, 14 punctuation marks, and the few bold layers of life inside me.

We all have the same 26 letters and 14 marks but I wonder why some take great care in the way they display them while others carelessly toss them around the garage. It bothers me when people do not treat these same tools with respect. I hate abbreviations used in texting. I hate when people type emails or blogs or notices with no punctuation or capitalization. I hate movies with a bad script. Language is power yet few seem to use it in daily life. Language was not meant to be ripped out and shoved in a blender.

1 comment:

Ericrazy said...

ok... so I just typed a comment and the stupid website wouldn't post it!!

*cries*

let me see if I can remember what I wrote...

1.Rainy days are my favorite (though I can understand the distaste because you're in New Zealand...)
2.I have a soft spot for yellow roses.
3.The smell of rain is, to me, perhaps one of the most comforting smells ever.
4.If you want to see a movie with an amazing screenplay (according to my semantics) I recommend 'Land of Women'
It has Meg Ryan, Adam Brody, Olympia Dukakis (sp), and Kristen Stewart.
Methinks it's one of my new favorite movies.

:]