Monday, March 17, 2008

3-Day Rock Climbing Field Trip...in New Zealand


New Zealand is incredible. Not because of the sunsets, lush hills, myriads of waterfalls, or even the cheese. New Zealand is amazing because so many perfect days fall into place one right after another. Most of my days-if not all of them are perfect. "And Jesus grew in wisdom and in stature and in favor with God and man." Those are the elements to a good day: learn, exercise, spiritual growth, and being social. I realize that physical activity has been largely minuscule (great oxymoron) in my life now that I can compare it to biking every day and going to classes like kayaking, surfing, and rock climbing. I did some rough estimates last night and I think I've biked 303.6 miles since I've been in Invercargill.




I love that field trips here include being whisked away to lake-side bays for three days and being graded on tying knots. The 34 of us pitched tents next to Lake Wanaka on Glendhu Bay. When we got there the lake was perfectly reflecting Mount Aspiring. This stillness was later disturbed by the violent wind, but for our arrival it provided the perfect location for skipping rocks. Twenty-seven is my new record and I have two witnesses-Heather and Stefanie.

The next three days consisted of rock climbing. Rather unashamedly, it is my new love. I want so much to go home and invest in a harness, helmet, caribeaners, and a few slings and some rope. I want to practice tying water knots, clove hitches, figure eights, and alpine butterflies. I love clinging to a rock with shaking fingers and trying to grope my way around for a new hold. When you're not on the rock climbing you can eat, tell stories, belay a fellow Kiwi, read, or meet climbers from Germany, Italy, or Australia passing by.


Class discussions are usually held on the ground sitting cross-legged and occasionally trying to shake out a tingling leg from falling into that painful sleep. One night we had our debriefing and followed that by learning about the stars in the Southern Hemisphere. Orion comes in upside down and one uses the Southern Cross for navigation in lieu of the Polaris.
I slept outside of my tent. My face got a bit chilly from the persistent wind but it was well worth the view of a cloudless sky and a brilliant Milky Way. It's been a long time since I've seen so many stars. Views like that make you wonder why streets have to be lit at night and why cities have to poison the night sky with the street lights.


Apart from the scenery, it was just plain fun. I loved being with the entire group instead of divided into A and B groups. Taking over kitchen areas is just as fun now as it was during the first two weeks of camping. Playing kick-the-can in the dark and dodging other campers might be my new hobby. Playing tag in the dark with flashing headlamps is nothing more than a laugh attack. Getting to the top of a climb and earning the right to be belayed down is rewarding.


After having reached the top of my climb-which was the first time I reached the top, mind you-I was belaying Becky. She was frustrated at the same ledge I was stuck at for quite some time. Attempting to offer words of encouragement I shouted, "Everything you want is just out of reach from your comfort zone." I thought a minute about what a smart thing was to say. I believe the same thing equivocates to life: you have got to stretch yourself further than you want to if you want to work your way up.


The weather was bipolar. It would rain and then I'd be dying of heat wishing I didn't wear thermals. Then it would rain again and I'd hug the rock in hopes it would shield me from droplets. On the last day some of us did lead climbing. Haeree is a freaking ninja and can scale any wall. Kirsten and I went bouldering which made me oh so very happy. Megan Bird makes me laugh. Katie Jo and I have a lot of similarities. Kathy climbed with one hand and the other with only three usable fingers and one foot because she had to get stitches on the other. Katie Merrill giggles me with her word choice. Brooke is an inspiration because she actively seeks ways to overcome her fear of heights.


I'm here with the best group ever. These people are inspiring and accomplished. Janelle helped invent Honey Mustard Vinaigrette. Stefanie Tanner is a world-class jump roping champion. (She's been on Bill Nye!). Collectively we are musical, rugged, daring, ambitious, smart, and united. I love the spirit our group brings. I love that I just had a 3-day rock climbing field trip...in New Zealand.

1 comment:

Ericrazy said...

watch out lance armstrong!

you must have killer calves!!