Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A Pun on Eggs

Sunday, March 23 -Easter
This experience in New Zealand has taught me that holidays really can be celebrated without boiling and dying eggs. Granted it didn't feel like Easter, but it was a magnificent day. We had sacrament in our foyer and had a testimony meeting. I said that the cool thing is that the church is true no matter where you are-even if you're on the bottom of the world. It was sunny in contrast to the few days prior when threatening clouds choked the light. It's days like this when I am most contest to play guitar outside with my bare feet in the grass. So I did. A few people joined me and we all rocked out to Accidentally in Love.

After lunch we went to sea the view of the ocean with all the sailboats out. Katie Jo, Heather and I found a bunch of tires holding down saliage and decided to run through them like football players. We explored a cave. We're so hard core.

We got back from the hike and did some work shops on goal setting, finances, and dating. (What else would you expect) I'm not exactly sure where the time went after the work shops. We had dinner, played some more guitar, played Nertz, talked with the twins David and Michael, and had a question panel (which made kayaking look enticing. It was SO boring)

At midnight President stone asked if we wanted to go to the beach. Duh, yes. The full moon made the water reflect a glossy silver that I had never seen before. In the dark it's impossible to see the waves rolling in until they break and the white suddenly becomes apparent in the dark. It was very beautiful and I don't use that term lightly. Katie Jo and I danced on the beach in the moonlight as well as do yoga and played marrionette and puppetier. Katie Jo and I are really good at having fun doing really simple things. I'm super STOKED for us to be roommates in Provo.

We got back at maybe 1:30 in the morning and the two married men (Eric from Orem and Matt from Canada) were out in the back of the camp rolling tires down the hill. Naturally Katie Jo and I had to join them because how many times can you roll tires down a hill...in New Zealand? Eggactly (Exactly.) Then Katie Jo had the brilliant idea to step into the tires and roll down the hill. So naturally, she did. That girl had a good 8 or 9 tires around her. You couldn't see her head when she was standing. The difficult part was getting her from the standing position into the lying down position but somehow we succeeded. I had a lot of fun just watching a solid line of tires roll down a hill and judging by the giggling coming from the tires I suspect Katie Jo had a terrific time....probably akin to zorbing.

And that was my Easter: church, music, people (chocolate people, nonetheless) moonlight beach party, and fun with tires.

1 comment:

Liesl said...

New Zealand sounds very, very beautiful - well, from what I get from you and what I've seen from Lord of the Rings. However, I discovered a beautiful thing about Utah with the full moon - and will thusly share a pointless anecdote with you.

I was driving with Brianna Pettit in the mountains around 10 p.m. and we decided to go up through Aspen Grove. Talk about a great choice. While driving past Sundance, I was astounded by the grandeur of the mountains. The moon was full and hit the mountains perfectly, which still have snow on them. I saw scores of stars, and was amazed to see the beauty of the mountains at night. We drove on further until I decided we should turn around on a random slope.

On turning around, I discovered that we were surrounded by peaks of moonlit mountains, if that makes sense. I wanted to stare at them forever, but instead contented myself with sitting inside the car and enjoying the scenery as we drove by. Many times I thought we were going to drive straight into a mountain, which enchanted me instead of scaring me to death.

A clear night with a full moon, driving through monstrous rock, with choice music - Peter Pan - and a good friend who listens to me blab, make for a memory that will last forever. Okay, that was pretty much a blog. I will now post it.